NEW! The Best and Fastest Method for Determining Asphalt Moisture Damage Just Got Better!
AASHTO TP 140, ASTM D7870
U.S. Patents #8,020,451 – #6,799,471 – #8,312,776
InstroTek’s MiST 2 (Moisture Induced Stress Tester), the best asphalt moisture sensitivity conditioning device, has been upgraded with an ultra-quiet pressure system and a small footprint to fit inside any size asphalt lab. The newly upgraded MiST 2 is quieter, more compact, and user-friendly, with advanced features to make the system operate more efficiently.
MiST 2 (Moisture Induced Stress Tester) is designed as a completely new, quick, and logical method for testing moisture damage susceptibility of asphalt mixtures. The MiST 2 from InstroTek is unlike any current test methods and is designed to simulate the stripping mechanisms that occur in HMA pavement layers.
NEW MiST 2 Features
- Ultra-Quiet Design- Noise level is drastically reduced using a new innovative pneumatic system... you can almost hear a pin drop!
- NEW! Benchtop Design- Smaller footprint allows for easy placement in any asphalt laboratory benchtop (30"L x 24"W x 30"H).
- Lighter Weight- 3x lighter than the original at only 163 lbs!
- Fully Automatic System- The unit will automatically drain after every test, maintaining a moisture-free environment and increasing reliability. Simply place the samples in the chamber, and the machine does the rest.
- Smaller Unit/Same Capacity- Conditions: 2- 150mm, 3- 100mm, or 3- Ideal CT asphalt cores.
For years, roadway engineers and asphalt contractors have been searching for a better method to test for “stripping” or “raveling,” which is the loss of bond or cohesion between aggregate and asphalt binder. Current test methods can take days to complete and are not conducive to a production quality control environment. Results also vary widely due to the lack of controls over the degree of saturation and temperature. More importantly, current test methods do not replicate the dynamics of pore pressure and scouring created in the field by vehicle tires passing over wet pavement.
The InstroTek, Inc. MiST 2 is a cyclic conditioning system that is designed to simulate the stripping mechanisms that occur in HMA pavement layers. The MiST 2 is a stand-alone unit that consists of a pressurized chamber that pushes and pulls water through a compacted asphalt sample, simulating the action of an automobile tire on the road. The tests can be performed at different pressures and temperatures to replicate different traffic and environmental conditions. The unit is completely automatic, and results are ready in as little as 24 hours. Simply place your asphalt core sample in the MiST 2 testing chamber, select your test parameters, press start, and the unit does the rest. Upon completion of the test, the asphalt core is taken out of the testing chamber and evaluated for susceptibility to moisture damage.
Adhesion & Cohesion All Rolled into One!
The MiST 2 conditioning method provides the ability to determine both the adhesion and cohesion failure potentials of a mixture by exposing the samples to pore pressure for cohesion failure and hot water for adhesion failure. Several studies suggest that MiST 2 is the most complete moisture test available.
- Designed to simulate HMA pavement stripping mechanisms.
- Shorter test times than current moisture sensitivity tests. Results in less than one day.
- Tests can be performed at realistic pressures similar to pressures produced by vehicle tires.
- Testing is automatic and monitored by sensors.
- Data can be stored and transferred to a PC for evaluation and archiving.
- Weight: 74kg / 163lbs
- Height: 0.76m / 30"
- Foot Print: 0.76 x 0.61m / 30 x 24"
- Power: 115 VAC 20A (optional 230 VAC 10A)